For Immediate Release
Langley City, BC – Langley City Fire Rescue Service is celebrating Fire Prevention Week TM (FPW), October 8-14, 2023. This year’s FPW campaign is, “Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention TM” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take when cooking to keep themselves and those around them safe.
According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.
Langley City Fire Rescue Service encourages all residents to embrace the 2023 Fire Prevention Week theme, “Cooking safety start with YOU,” said Cpt. Bob Perry, Fire Prevention Officer. “A cooking fire can grow quickly. I have seen many homes damaged and people injured by fires that could easily have been prevented.”
Langley City Fire Rescue Service offers these key safety tips to help reduce the risk of a cooking fire.
- Watch what you heat. Always keep a close eye on what you are cooking. Set a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove. Always keep a lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner.
- Have a “kid- and pet-free zone” of at least 3 feet (1 meter) around the stove or grill and anywhere else hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
Langley City Fire Rescue Service will kick off Fire Prevention Week with 3 Firefighter Grocery Bagging Events in the City of Langley:
- Thursday, October 12th, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Safeway 20871 Fraser Highway; Langley Fraser Crossing;
- Friday, October 13th, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
No Frills, 5501 204th Street, Langley
- Friday, October 13th, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Save-On-Foods, 20151 Fraser Highway;
Firefighters will pack customers’ groceries while sharing important fire safety tips and information.
Fire prevention information packages will be sent to Langley City elementary students with details on how to enter the “Fire Chief for a Day” contest. As a reminder of the importance of fire safety, Langley City Fire Rescue Service encourages all schools to hold a fire drill during Fire Prevention Week. Participating Langley City schools will be entered into a draw for a $200 gift certificate provided by the Downtown Langley Business Association.
The Office of the Fire Commissioner in partnership with the BC Professional Fire Fighters Burn Fund, Fire Prevention Officers Association of BC, and the First Nations Emergency Services Society are hosting a fire prevention contest, with an opportunity for students in our community to win some fantastic prizes. Details on the contest can be found on the Office of the Fire Commissioners website at www.gov.bc.ca/FirePreventionWeek
For more information on Fire Prevention Week, call Langley City Fire Rescue Service at 604.514.2880. For more general information about Fire Prevention Week, visit www.fpw.org