For Immediate Release
Deadline for submission is May 19, 2023, at 3:00 pm
Langley City, BC – The City of Langley invites emerging and established artists in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia to submit two pieces of complementary artwork to be used as templates for the fall street banner program in the downtown area of Langley City.
“The vision for the artwork commissioned is to reflect the City’s community values, diversity, and inclusivity of the people of Langley City, demonstrate originality and artistic merit, be engaging and interactive, and enhance visitors’ experience,” said Director of Recreation, Culture, and Community Services, Kim Hilton. “Approximately 200 street banners featuring the winning designs will be produced and installed on street light poles to enhance the City’s spirit and beautify the downtown core and gateways.”
Each of the two banners should be inspired by the local community; the artwork should have relevance to the character and charm of the City of Langley and the work that the City is doing to support active, healthy lifestyles through arts, culture, and recreation.
The artwork should reflect Langley City in the fall and can be a drawing, painting, block printing, photograph, vector, or illustration file. Successful proponents will ensure that the artwork submitted follows these guidelines:
- Simple, big, bold, and easily seen from street level, and able to stand out when viewed at a distance.
- Vivid, vibrant, and contrasting fall colours are preferred with enough value (light and dark) separation to provide reasonable legibility under low lighting conditions.
- Fewer colours per design are preferred. Most designs can be represented in two to three colours.
- Limit the use yellows and oranges; no pastels since they fade quickly.
Artists must convert all colours (RGB, Pantone, LAB) to CMYK and submit their works in one of these accepted file formats:
- AI (Illustrator) – PDF compatible file. Saved with “compression option” on.
- EPS vector – resolution 300dpi at 25% of banner size or 72dpi at 100% of the banner size. Saved with “embed fonts for other applications” feature turned on.
- INDD (InDesign) Package that contains all of the necessary files.
- PDF – high-resolution images and fonts embedded. Saved with “preserve illustrator editing capabilities” on. TIFF or JPG – hi-resolution (300 dpi), all layers flattened.
- PSD (Photoshop) with layers will allow corrections/adjustments.
The winning designs will receive a $500 honorarium for each banner (right and left). Each design will be replicated onto banners 32 inches (wide) by 60 inches (length/height) and will be displayed across downtown Langley this year from September to November 2023.
All proposals must follow the Call for Artists Fall Street Banner Program 2023-02 and email email@example.com under the subject heading “2023-02 Fall Street Banner Program” before May 19, 2023, at 3:00 pm. Submissions should be in PDF format.
Samantha Paulson, Communications Officer