TURN BROWN INTO GREEN! ... discover the many advantages of brownfield redevelopment
Turn your under-used, contaminated property into a goldmine. Langley City has created a new award-winning "Brownfield Redevelopment Strategy," acclaimed by Colliers International as "The first of its kind in BC." This initiative helps property developers...
- Increase Property Values
- Take advantage of a Great Location
- Save by Reusing Existing Infrastructure like roads and sewer
- Create Economic Spin-offs like attracting more residents and business
- Gain funding and take advantage of incentives that offset costs
Learn more about Langley City's Brownfield Redevelopment Strategy and how we can help you create the "triple bottom-line benefits," as cited by the Province of BC's Ministry of Environment.
WATCH: LANGLEY CITY BROWNFIELD VIDEO (by FCM)
"Brownfield cleanup and redevelopment often leads to property value increases of 5% to 15% in the area surrounding the site up to 1.2 km away. There are documented cases where “impact” projects, usually involving change from industrial use to parks or mixed use (residential/commercial), have had much higher impacts on property values, even exceeding 100%." — Brownfield Renewal BC
Brownfield sites are under-utilized industrial or commercial properties that may or may not have been contaminated by previous uses. With a burgeoning trend to reduce our environmental impact, communities want to centralize and densify development, and limit urban sprawl. Costs to clean up these sites can be compensated for via government incentives and funding programs.
“The Province of BC has made significant efforts to promote the TRIPLE BOTTOM LINE BENEFITS of Brownfield Redevelopment.”
— ALAN MCCAMMON, MANAGER, REMEDIATION ASSURANCE & BROWNFIELDS, MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT, PROVINCE OF BC
Funding and resources are available to help cover the costs of site remediation.
VIDEOS: FCM Brownfield Redevelopment
“The Basics of Brownfield Redevelopment: A Guide for Local Governments in British Columbia“ — BC Brownfield Renewal, Province of BC
"We built a very successful $50M project which included 220 condominium and town home suites called Paddington Station […] Without the support of Mayor Fassbender and Gerald Minchuk, we would not have undertaken this successful [brownfield] project."
— Peter Warkentin, CEO, Quadra Homes
"In partnership with the City, Anthem has seen two former brownfield sites redeveloped into two of Langley's busiest shopping destinations: Fraser Crossing Shopping Centre and the Langley Power Center. The City of Langley has repeatedly shown its ability to work with business to develop a variety of thriving commercial, retail and residential projects."
— Eric Carlson, President, Anthem Properties Group Ltd.
"The City of Langley has demonstrated great leadership by being the first local government in British Columbia to develop a brownfield redevelopment strategy. The Brownfield Redevelopment Strategy [...] showcases the important role that a municipality can play in reducing urban sprawl by directing development towards under-utilized properties."
— Stephanie Bohdanow, Program Officer, Knowledge Services, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Green Champion Award, Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM)
- Sustainable Communities Award, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Canadian Urban Institute Brownie Award (CUI)
- British Columbia Economic Development Association (BCEDA) — Community Project Award: Brownfield Redevelopment Strategy
IN THE MEDIA
- “Langley City examining how to better utilize its properties” — Langley Times
- “Langley Intros Revolutionary Brownfield Strategy” — Business in the Fraser Valley
- “Award Winning Langley Brownfield Redevelopment Strategy a Catalyst to Economic Activity” — Business Examiner
- “Pursuing Brownfield Renewal Initiatives” — BC Environmental Industry Association: Bettering Environmental Sustainable Technologies (BEST